In our article, tin can planter ideas that attracted the attention of many people, a detail that we missed was noticed by some interested visitors. The raised design or appliques on them… This beautiful and easy decoration idea also attracted our attention. In a short period of time, we have done research on the appliques. Now, I would like to share this information with you.
Necessary materials for applique design
- Paper clay
- Clay molds (plastic or silicone)
- Acrylic paints and compatible size of brushes
- Hot glue or any other strong glues
- Tin can (ready to be used as a planter)
- A piece of sandpaper (for distressing)
Note: You can find all these materials in local craft shops and on the internet as well.
Step by Step
1. After you pull out the paper clay, it will be better to knead it with your fingers so that it gets soften and stick to the clay mold properly (don’t roll it too much).
2. Put your clay into the mold and press slightly it to all edges so that it fits well into the mold, and cut off the excess with a knife.
3. After you push enough, you should remove it immediately since waiting a little longer can make the clay hard to pull out.
4. Cut off the excess and make smooth all the bulges so that it will easy to paint.
5. You don’t need to wait until the clay gets dry. Now, you can start to paint your clay applique with any colors that you want such as copper, silver grey, dark grey and etc.
6. If you want, you can also distress your clay appliques by using sandpaper softly.
7. After the painting and drying phase, you can stick your clay applique on the tin can.
Note: If you do not want to deal with all these steps, you can buy these appliques in-store.
After all steps, you can use your vintage and unique tin can planters wherever you want. Also, as you may notice, you can use these reliefs not only for tin cans but for different suitable grounds or any furniture. I am sure that this idea will also attract your children. A fun do-it-yourself idea to have an efficient time at home.