Enabling children to take care of the home and gardening at an early age is crucial for their future personal development and a clay flower pot is cut out for it. However, most home and garden jobs are generally not very attractive for children. They prefer to be busy with things that are more common among their age groups. In this context, it is necessary to make home and garden work a little more fun and creative for children. For example, you can show your kids that they can create cartoon characters and superheroes with the clay pots you use in the garden, and you can make this beautiful idea with them.
Although it seems difficult and complicated, it is actually quite easy and only takes about 1 hour (drying time excluded). These flowerpot person ideas are also a good chance for upcycling your old jeans or any fabrics (you can cover your flowerpots with these materials instead of painting). Besides, the variety of necessary materials is totally up to you and your preferences. In this regard, you can use different sizes or numbers of pots and various colors.
The basic materials for Clay Flower Pot
- 6 or 8-inch clay or plastic pots (for head and body)
- 2 or 4-inch clay or plastic pots (for arms and legs)
- Acrylic craft paint (and sealer is optional)
- Strong hot glue
- Macrame cord or other kinds of strong rope
Steps for creating a Clay Flower Pot
- Firstly, you should decide what character you want to create.
- Secondly, you should decide how many posts you will use for arms and legs.
- Then, you should get paints compatible with your character or superhero.
- Now, you can start to paint your pots (head, body, arms, and legs).
- After painting, we should tie the small flowerpots to each other (for arms and legs) with the rope through the drainage hole. But while doing this, you also need to pass the rope through the big flowerpot that we use as a body. (Do it one more time since we need two arms and legs)
- After you created the body of it, legs, and arms, you should stick another big pot on the body pot. That’s it. If you want you can put some potting soil and plants into the head of your character.
Note 1: Check the upside-down status when connecting the pots during the whole process.
Note 2: It is recommended to use terra-cotta (or clay) pots since your paints will be more durable.
With this idea, you can create different cartoon characters and superheroes. Here you can find a lot of examples with different characters. I am sure your kids will love this idea.